2.4.10

.discovering a life lesson.

I went to a World Vision movie screening last Wednesday. Besides the ridiculous drama with the Edmonton Transit System, it was a evening in which my heart was inspired.

The first movie that was shown was the story of a woman named Elsie who served with World Vision for many years. She had served in Africa most of her life, retired for 40 years and went back (in her wheelchair) to visit the places where she had served. There was a question and answer session after the movie. This woman seriously warmed my heart. She said something that I hope sticks with me for the rest of my life. I don't remember the question that was asked of her, but in her response she said these words: "it has been a good life."

To me, this is a statement about taking opportunity. It is to live a life of adventure, whether it's in the mundane or the unbelievably exciting. Elsie still remembered names of the people she helped, she was engaged. She lived love. I don't think this means that we all need to go to Africa to live this life. I think we can all live like this wherever we are.

This beautiful woman sat in her wheelchair and said: "it has been a good life." I want to be like her when I grow up.

2 comments:

  1. That sounds like a great goal!
    Living life, even (and maybe especially) the mundane parts of it is a theme that has been on my mind through Lent this year. So this is a word of encouragement. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't you just love meeting these kinds of people along the way? Great blog my friend... inspiring! On the side of life where most of it (Lord willing!) lays ahead, and much is to be discovered, I want to say with confidence - It will be a good life!

    ReplyDelete